Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wardrobe Essential Wednesday: Classic Trench

Each Wednesday will be dedicated to the essential items that should be in any working woman's closet. Every closet should have these go-to items to built the perfect outfit for any occasion. If this situation sounds familiar to you then you've been in my shoes: Barely awake, I'm standing in my closet perusing the array of items that have seemed to multiply over the years. Shirts from college cluttering every corner and piles of jeans that I'm sure I can no longer fit into are heaped on the shelves. Over twenty pairs of pants to choose from and I'm not sure which ones even fit... much less which of the forty pairs of shoes will match them. After trying on what seems like a million outfits, I settle on the same old outfit that I wear every week.

Wouldn't you love to skip this dreaded ordeal every morning. Well hopefully once you are able to narrow down your wardrobe to only the essentials, putting together an outfit will be as easy as 1-2-3. Each Wednesday, I will present you with a new essential to find in your wardrobe or add to it at a sensible price.

The first of these closet essentials is a classic trench coat. Not only is a trench a great touch to any outfit on a rainy day, but it is also a must-have throughout the Spring season. Putting on a trench coat can be like the icing on a cake; giving an outfit a polished look. Fit is the most important thing. Make sure that your trench coat is at the proper length. You do not want this coat to overtake you... we're not spies after all. A trench coat should hit you mid-thigh. Along with length, it is important for a trench coat to have a tie around the waste to emphasis your waste line.
Classic Trench 
Also pick wisely when choosing the color of your trench coat. A classic khaki or navy trench coat will go with everything. Also it will be easy to translate these colors into any seasonal wardrobe. If you choose a color for your trench coat, make sure that you have another jacket in a neutral color.

This past spring, I purchased my classic trench coat from Ann Taylor Loft. The coat was ideal because it surprisingly came in petite sizes... which is crucial for me. Also it has a tie around the waste and a small lapel. Not only was this trench a perfect match for me, but it was a perfect match for my wallet. Most trench coats from the LOFT range in price from $75-$99. I waited until they had a store wide 30% off sale and then I received an additional 15 % off for being a teacher. With tax, I paid less than $50 for a timeless addition to my closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment