Tuesday, April 24, 2012

In the Midst of EOG Madness

Being a fifth grade teacher and preparing my students for the upcoming EOGs has got me in a funk... and when I get in a "funk" I resort to a bottle of wine, hours of Bethenny Ever After, Gossip Girl and Grey's Anatomy, and unended Pinteresting. I sometimes get beyond frustrated at the fact that I spend the entire school year teaching my students content that I want to help them for the rest of their lives and then I spend 5 weeks cramming every bit of information possible into their brains so that they can take a state mandated test that supposedly tells how well I taught them.
I've come to the conclusion that time well spent is better than answers memorized. I've started spending more time with my students on a one on one basis to help them with curriculum that they feel that they are struggling with. I've given up my lunch time, planning and mornings to spend an hour with one student to give them that attention that I know they deserve.
Are you getting consumed in the EOG blues? If so, take a moment and step back to look at how far your students have come this year and praise them for the progress they've made. Oh and enjoy a glass of wine every once in a while!

With Happy Moments in the EOG Madness
The Penny Pinching Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment